Stories and Moving Pictures by Marlene Shigekawa


When I was six, I would watch my mother drive our 1949 blue and gray Chevy, observe how she would shift the gears and step on the clutch. I would memorize every movement so that when I grew up, I could drive my car like she did and alone go to a field or the beach and take my easel and paint the surrounding landscape or seascape. I wanted to be an artist.

When entering my elementary school cafeteria for lunch, I was surprised to see my drawing made from colored crayons hanging with other drawings. There on the wall was one drawing from each class. I remember drawing myself near the chicken coop where I would be feeding the chickens. Of course, in my creation there was the obligatory elementary school image of a sunburst in the upper right-hand corner, myself dressed in the yellow and brown poke-a-dot dress my mother had made and my black hair in pigtails. My mother always made sure that I was color coordinated. Yellow ribbons were tied to the end of my pigtails. Another time, when driving home from school with my mother, I saw giant red strawberries with faces adorning the windows of Curry’s ice cream shop. The following week, my drawing of giant red strawberries not only with faces but dancing legs greeted all that entered the cafeteria.
Why were my drawings displayed on the cafeteria wall not just one week but several? The pictures I had in my head traveled from me to that display wall where other eyes could see them. There was this black-haired girl appearing on the wall where many blond haired, blue - eyes classmates could see her. My imagination, how I saw my world, was shared and I was surprised. I think I gained some confidence in feeling that what I imagined was something special to share. But why would anyone want to know about me?
I discovered that what I wanted to say, to write about, my perspectives were meaningful, but I was not the right person to share them. While in college, I wrote an essay on the topic of Freedom is Slavery that caught the eye of the student editor of our college publication. But I quickly learned from the faculty advisor that when readers saw my name that readers would think of the “South Seas,” an Asian person, and that nobody would believe that I wrote the essay. My article was not published. I encountered the same reaction when told by a university professor that he doubted that I wrote my beautifully written essay on Lord Byron’s poetry. My need to be accepted stifled my need to become outraged. My rage did not come until later.
My divorce was a painful gift that prompted me to explore what I really wanted to do with my life. I became aware that I wanted to become a film director. The stories and the pictures that I was compelled to tell were associated with shame and unspoken family pain and humiliation, surrounding the Japanese American incarceration experience. My mother, 5 months pregnant with my brother, exiled from vibrant Southern California to the hot, desolate Arizona desert, told of how she got off the train, and was forced to drink water filled with mud. The pain, humiliation and rage were there, hiding just underneath the surface, now bubbling over. 
My initial creations were children’s picture books. I asked my favorite uncle to do the illustrations to accompany my stories, family stories I heard as a child. I allowed my shiny wooden blue jay, crafted by my maternal grandfather in the incarceration camp, to take flight in my first children’s book, Blue Jay in the Desert. It led to numerous book readings. Wide- eyed students listened and stared in disbelief at my grandfather’s carved blue jay pinned to my chest, triggering insightful questions. White teachers expressed their gratitude for stories that had been kept hidden away for years. Japanese American audiences relived the pain, leading to validation and some healing. My legacy was linked to their legacy. I still couldn’t quite fathom that my creation with my uncle could have such an impact, that others were moved from a simple act of telling a story using pictures. I realized that my healing had become healing for others in processing collective/community pain. Then I remembered the messages I had received in college.

I have now shifted from the printed story to moving picture stories or films. So, my goal of becoming a counselor/therapist has shifted from a treatment office to the film screen. I never thought that I would become a documentary filmmaker. For the Sake of the Children captures the voices of not only those imprisoned but the voices of their children and grandchildren. Again, I was surprised but grateful that audiences were moved to a collective healing experience.

With all of this, I have traveled from feeling ashamed of my Japanese American background to feeling proud, finding strength from my family survivors, from moving from being private to having a public persona. Then I remember my drawing, which was displayed in my school cafeteria. That sunburst in the corner now takes center stage, shining brightly. At the same time, I continue to struggle and feel the conflict of wanting to be accepted and wanting to speak out and be an advocate, of fighting prejudice and seeking social justice. It is a life-long struggle that fuels me to create.


Bio – Marlene Shigekawa

Marlene Shigekawa is a San Francisco Bay Area based writer, producer, and director. With a personal and professional background in multiculturalism, she strives to create inspirational social justice stories. She is the Executive Producer and Co-Director of the documentary film, For the Sake of the Children, which has screened internationally.  It explores the legacy of the Japanese American incarceration during World War II and the intergenerational trauma experienced by descendants of those incarcerated. Born in the Poston Incarceration Camp and, now, the president of the Poston Community Alliance, she helps to preserve the history of the Poston site, located on the Colorado River Indian Tribes reservation in Arizona.  She has won several awards for her narrative feature script Hawk Dreamer, which explores a cross cultural friendship between a Japanese American and Mohave Indian leading to their battle for civil rights. She is currently in production for her short film, The Blue Jay, which is based on Hawk Dreamer.

Additional published works include Blue Jay in the Desert, which was the first children’s book in the U.S. that focused on the Japanese American incarceration, and its sequel Welcome Home Swallows



Book reading of Blue Jay in the Desert can be found at: https://vimeo.com/457325592
 

Comments

  1. Dear Marlene, I read your story and peruse information on For the Sake of the Children and Passing Poston with great interest. My parents worked in the San Francisco area when WWII anti-Japanese propaganda began. When their Japanese-American neighbors were rounded up, they were so disturbed that they quit their jobs to become volunteer school teachers. I was born in the Tule Lake concentration camp--we lived with all the other families in the barracks surrounded by barbed wire fences and armed guards. Thank you for all your educational work on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gretchen,
      See you soon via zoom where we can talk at length about our shared background.
      Marlene

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the gifts of your children's books and your documentary. It's so important to keep telling the stories and the truth so we can be a better country. As the Trump presidency and the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 show, we have a long way to go...I'm sorry for the pain that the incarceration caused your family in particular, but I'm grateful that you don't forget and that you've transformed history into art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cyndi, for your support all these years. Really appreciate our connection as friends, mothers and writers. Looking forward to seeing your essay on this site soon.
      Hugs,
      Marlene

      Delete
  3. Marlene, I appreciate that you wrote of your early childhood experiences in sharing your creativity - in fact, a huge leap of courage that can make or break our confidence even as adults. How beautiful that you saw your drawings in the cafeteria and later understood that your voice could be shared. I didn't know about about the Poston Incarceration Camp or where it was located, so I looked on a map and read more about it online. Thank you for helping us all to learn more about this part of the Japanese-American experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison, for your interest and insightful comments. If you would like to learn more about Poston you can visit our website and also see my documentary film.
      http://www.postonpreservation.org

      If you click on the Poston Virtual Pilgrimage link it will display a list of films, including For the Sake of the Children.

      Take care,
      Marlene

      Delete
  4. I am not sure where my original comment disappeared to, but here is another one. I love the image of you as a child, Marlene, dressed in you yellow and brown polka dot dress with your black hair in pigtail and yellow ribbons. We can visualize it so clearly along with your mother's 1949 blue and gray Chevy. There you are amidst the blonde majority stunned to see your drawing on the cafeteria wall. Already you understood the power of artistic creation that is shared with the public. That drawing was to be followed by books and films created by you as you found your voice and identity as a film maker and a writer. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nitza,
      Thanks for creating this wonderful blogsite and connecting us all. As I said before, you are sucha spiritual wizard!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story and wonderful work, Marlene. I watched some of the Poston Virtual Pilgrimage and it was so moving. Is there a way to see the whole film, For the Sake of the Children? I watched the trailer on Youtube. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abby,
      So glad you had a chance to view my doc film and watch our Virtual Pilgrimage. Looking forward to seeing you post Pandemic at Nitza's.

      Delete
  6. Dear Marlene, I'm honored to have read your essay. Your are an amazing, powerful writer. I could hear and feel the heartfelt expression of so many emotions created by the discrimination you and your family faced over many decades. I was moved by your thoughts as a little girl, seeing your drawings displayed in the cafeteria, and the confusion and yet inspiration you experienced. I was saddened to learn of the prejudice leading to the rejection of your essay being included in a college publication.. I felt the outrage you had to stifle when the professor doubted you wrote the essay on Lord Byron. The pain and humiliation suffered by your family and other Japanese Americans is palpable in your essay. I know I will never truly comprehend the indignities and pain in those camps or the legacy they created. Your books and films and your speaking engagements have provided an opportunity for healing for more people than you will ever even know. They also educate and change those of us who are not Japanese American making us (I hope) better people who will work toward elimination of the kind of hate and discrimination experienced by you and your family. I can only imagine the courage it has taken and continues to take to to speak out against the racism you, your family and all Japanese Americans suffered and continue to face. I hope your work has been healing for you. I admire and am inspired by you, so much more than I have the ability to express.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment